There is basically 2 type of caravan fridges:
- One is the compressor type fridge usually 12/24v and 240v – basically functions the same as your household fridge needing minimal to no maintenance
- The other and most common is the 3-way fridge.
The 3-way fridge is powered by LPG (when no other power supply is available), 240v when mains power available, or 12v from the tow vehicle when traveling.
Having 3 separate power supplies requires minor but some regular maintenance such as:
- Check gas lines occasionally for leaks
- gas line pressure – fridges are fussy about line pressure
- If you do a lot of dirt / off-road driving the burner tube or flame tube requires
- cleaning as well as de-dusting the cooling unit at the rear of the fridge
- Check the door seals annually
- Run the fridge on gas 3 times a year for a minimum of 7hr
Common failures with 3-way fridges that we can repair include:
- 240v element burnt out
- 12v element burnt out
- Failure to work on gas – this could be caused by any one of many defects
We repair fridges on a weekly basis – in fact in most cases we can improve the performance of a 3-way fridge. We also stock a large range of fridge elements 240v & 12v – regulators and most common parts to carry out successful repairs